Sequence of English Lessons

This was my first experience planning for a sequence of English lessons. The children had to meet an objective by the end of the sequence which consisted of applying speech to a piece of descriptive writing.

Subject knowledge was a main issue, as English is my weak area. To avoid creating misconceptions with the children and for myself, I reflected on what I knew, and what were the key aspects of descriptive writing. Through observing practice with my mentor, and seeing grammatical elements in lessons, my knowledge began to improve over the time. Use of the school’s ‘Grammar bug’ program has also helped develop my subject knowledge.  If I had not applied these misconceptions during the planning process, I would not be able to teach the children the key skills they need as I would have been unaware of them myself. This made me feel more comfortable delivering the lesson as I knew what I was teaching, and could address any misconceptions the children had come across.

Furthermore, through researching descriptive writing and speech, it allowed me to be more creative within my English Lesson. The ‘Literacy Shed’ was one of the main sites I used within my planning. The sequence of lessons consisted of using the ‘John Lewis – Buster the dog’ television advert and creating speech for the animals on the trampoline.  This was a good resource as it allowed me to plan for a sequence of lessons, it was a resource that used one video that stemmed to creating speech, which was a creative approach for the children. This had a positive impact on the session.

However, if I was to plan this lesson again, I would ensure there was more teacher modelling as during the session the WAGOLL was on the board.  Personally, I think I should have wrote the WAGOLL myself onto the board for the children to see the teacher creating the story, also, ask the children questions to get them to assist in the process, this shows that class is included. This could be added into my planning, the WAGOLL could already be written on some paper for me to copy and I could then take further ideas from the children.

Throughout the planning process I ensured the lessons were meeting the year 4 national curriculum’s writing standards. In the national curriculum, it states ‘using and punctuating direct speech’ these are year 4 requirements. Prior to the sequence, I planned and taught a lesson on punctuating speech, so in my planning for this sequence I did a quick re-cap on punctuating speech. This aspect of my plan was important as the children had to use prior knowledge and apply it to any mistakes I had made in the speech (starter can be seen in slides). This was good experience as the children unpicked all the mistakes I had made in the speech and any grammatical mistakes I had made. This shows they had knowledge from the prior lesson that they applied to this lesson to correct all the mistakes.

Overall, the lesson had been planned to have a positive impact on pupil progress. They had just finished a sequence of lessons on descriptive writing. My sequence then flowed onto applying narrative speech, which shows both sets of lessons connected.  If I was to re-plan the session, I would follow the process I had made, but ensure I explained tasks in a simple way. This was a misconception because the children were unsure on some parts of the task. To prevent this from affecting any future planning, if there are any misconceptions I will explain the task clearly and stop the whole class to ensure they are all on task. Also, differentiating was a main issue, I tried to ensure I planned the use of my TAs effectively to work with my SEND and lower achievers to give them more support. However, some of them children were confused with the task, so they began to become distracted. The worksheets I created was used by all abilities so to avoid the issue of confusion, I will make sheets that differentiate between all ability levels.